Cultural Learnings of Life For Make Benefit Glorious Humanbeings

Just very very random thoughts about life around me, how to learn from one another and take life as it comes.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Heja Sverige!



Thought of addressing a subject that is very close, yet often remains very unknow for us Finns. This is Sweden, our former ruler and now more or less belowed neighbor. Thanks to the historical heritage of this western buddy, Finnish students automatically posess a second language (or third, after English) from an early age on. Indeed, Sweden is to thank for various things, like hmm... establishment of universities, fine arts and other minor marks of a civilized nation. Even today, a small minority (~6%) of Swedish speaking people remain within the country. They are stereotypically merry and educated people, and hence the backbone of Finnish urban living. Whereas the aboriginal folks stay in the countryside whining how all possible hardness of life is focused on them. But like said, these are just stereotypes and in the real life we are all a happy family. Heja, heja, heja! Och helan går!

However familiar one would think Sweden is, I still found some things that struck me as unfamiliar as I visited Stockholm for a week's on-shore training. Firstly, Stockholm seems very posh. Compared to us on the otherside of the gulf, Stockholm "killar och tjejer" seem to know their way around the wardrobe. Damn! Had I had more time (and...ahem, money)I would definately have done some shopping myself. I haven't been to Stockholm in ten years. Last time was on 9th grade when we made a class trip. Anyway, the weather was miserable and we as minors were more interested in how to manage the boozing on the ferry. For sure, when back in Finland (+ the time and money)a shopping trip to Sweden will be arranged. Another example, that actually sort of relates to the previous, is the amount of design and trademarks Sweden seems to produce to the world. Something for us Finns to be very envious about. I knew that most of the fashion/utility stores in Finland are Swedish (Why is it so god'damn hard to produce own brands??!!) but that so many other brands as well... Like Vagabond shoes! Hell! Third example is a bit less superficial. The people. I have always thought that Swedish people are annoyingly friendly and smily folks. Nope, they are not (Well of course the capital is always maybe a bit more extreme). They seem to be friendly enough just to make you relax and feel somewhat comfortable, and that's where it ends. I have always understood that when talking about the Scandinavian coldness it is often referred to us Finns, but I'd say that Swedes are even worse. I chatted with a Greek kiosk guy and he was complaning about the people saying that Finns are better. Also I heard that in the opinion of an foreign student the best thing in Sweden was his Finnish friends. So definately a justified change to "vetää kotiinpäin" (pull it homewards).

Now that I have generally labelled all the Swedes as cold and overly posh people. I might as well acknowledge that I do not know a single Swede. But I'd really like to, cause I am sure that despite of these stereotypes there are many lovable people to get to know to. So in case any of you read this, please contact me and let's become good friends :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

counters